Outlook – Open Mailbox that you have been Delegated
To view email and folders for another Outlook user you have been delegated access to through Information Technology (IT), please do the following:
Note: These instructions will only work after the owner of the mailbox has made a request for delegation through IT.
Outlook Web App:
- Visit owa.sauss.net and click your name in the top-right corner to view “My accounts”
- Click “Open another mailbox”
- Enter the name of the mailbox you have been delegated
- Choose Open
- Another tab will open to show the Inbox of the other mailbox
- Owner of mailbox will submit request though IT helpdesk to grant delegate access. View this link for more info. Process take at least 30 minutes after IT has confirmed that the delegation request has been processed through Active Directory.
- Close and Re-Open the Outlook 2016 Client
- Scroll Down on the Folders Pane to locate the name of the account you have been delegated
- This will allow you to view the mail in each of the folders of their mailbox.
- Pro Tip: You can right click on any folder or mailbox name in Outlook client to open it in a new window
- To send on behalf of this user, create a new email, choose “Options” and enable to “From” field. This will present a dropdown where you can send from the delegated address.
You may need to enable to “From” field in the Message Options Tab.
Mac: Add the mailbox under People I am a Delegate for
- This method is best used when you are a delegate for another user’s mailbox or when you have permissions to several folders in a shared mailbox.
- This method can also be used when you have full access permissions to a mailbox.
- To open the shared mailbox, click Accounts on the Tools menu, click Advanced, and then click Delegates. Add the mailbox under People I am a delegate for.
- Note If you have permissions to custom folders in the mailbox but not to the top-level mailbox folder, the custom folders will not appear in the folder list. Only default folders that you have permissions to, such as Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, and Calendar, will appear in the folder list without top-level mailbox folder permissions.