How to Open a Former Employee Shared Mailbox in Outlook
When a User Account is disabled, their Outlook mailbox will be converted into a shared mailbox for 60 days.
The Information Technology HelpDesk can grant access to that shared mailbox if notified via email to email@example.com by that user’s manager.
Once access has been granted, you may use the instructions below to access that user’s mailbox.
In Outlook Client
- Click to File in the top left corner
- Click the Box for Account Settings
- Click drop-down option Account Settings
- On the Email Tab, make sure your work email is selected
- Then Select Change
- In the Window, Click More Settings
- Select the Advanced tab
- In “Open these additional mailboxes” Select Add
- Enter the name or email address for the Former Employee
Once this is successful, you will see the mailbox listed on the left menu under your folders.
Note: You will not be able to open the Former Employee Shared Mailbox in Outlook on the Web or through the Mobile App.